“I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”― Louisa May Alcott, Little Women
People often ask me, “How do you manage to crush your huge goals, year-after-year?”
I’ll let you in on my secret; I don’t sleep. I’m just kidding! I sleep like a baby. No, my secret is creating my annual action plan. I have a killer New Year’s Day ritual that I’ve perfected over the years. Honestly, I am obsessed with it. Briefly, it’s a 5-step process that goes like this:
1. Evaluate the past year – Reflect on your highlight reel. Outline your amazing accomplishments, epic adventures, where you fell short, and why? Celebrate all of it, even the misses. It means you tried valiantly! Reflect on what’s vital for you today as a result.
2. Get clarity on your goals – For the love of all of us, try to pick just three main goals. You do not need 100! You’d be surprised what you can accomplish when you are realistic — just saying.
3. Create action steps – I then create mini action steps by month and quarter to keep me on track; otherwise, it’s just too overwhelming. I focus on one month at a time. Life happens, steps slide, but I always have a pulse if I’m on track. Always. If you think I am the captain of my ship, in charge of my destiny, you are right.
4. Create a theme for the year – After reviewing my goals, I determine what word or theme for the year will become my mantra to keep me focused. Some past examples include Leap, Dare, Breakthrough, Creativity, and Liberation! Check out Carrie Saba’s free Ebook explaining how to pick a Word of the Year (here).
5. Putting it in writing! – I put my plans into a 20-page word document, by quarter and have it printed and bound. It becomes my goal bible. Now that I have supreme clarity, I finish with creating a vision board!
Note to self: Before you dive in, set yourself up for success. Block off your calendar and turn off your phone. Line up your favorite snacks and prepare your lunch in advance. Consider roping a best friend into the mix to share crazy ideas and talk through obstacles. As a result, you’ll have an accountability partner going forward. Lastly, have F-U-N! This should be fun.
Are you interested in detailed instructions? Check out The Great Start Program, by Women on Fire founder, Debbie Phillips and her husband, Rob Berkley. The workbook also comes with audio instructions. Their banter will delight you. It may very well be the secret sauce to you accomplishing your most magnificent dreams too. I do hope 2020 is your best year ever!
Beth Bryce is a Career Strategist, Transformation Catalyst, and Founder of Daring Circle Ranch leading others through their own Life Revolution. She enjoys saving women from living a mediocre life, taking risks, getting lost in the woods, pizza, and her Jack Russell Terrier – not necessarily in that order. Beth is currently working on her book, Ignite Your Life Revolution: How to crush your fears, unleash your magic, and live your wildest dreams.